Saturday, August 11, 2012

Carolyn Westbrook: Live from the Plantation.

 Hey y'all! Hope everyone is enduring this long, hot, summer. Here in Texas, it has been a scorcher, but trying to think of all the things that I love about summer. The basil and mint are still flourshing and we always try and keep some in the kitchen for flavoring tea or sauces. We have a big pitcher of iced tea on hand at all times. I love to dress up a glass with a slice of lime or orange with a fresh sprig of mint if so refreshing. I had this Asiatic Pheasant pedestal in the panty, and thought how pretty it would look in the kitchen. Just like anyone else, we have supplies, like the dishwashing soap that can look unsightly sitting on the cabinet, so I came up with this solution. I took a vintage vinegar dispenser and filled it with the dishwashing soap, and put it together on the plateau with a nail brush, which we always use when we come in from working outside. An antique sugar bowl in matching Asiatic Pheasant design is filled with fresh mint and basil. I think it all came together beautifully and really helps us have the things we need at hand.

Always good to bring a little outside in and great to go out into the yard and get little snip-its for beautiful little bouquets around the house. I love to use the vintage bottles with the skinny necks for single blooms. Lavender and Rosemary are great to make your house smell and look pretty.
Little snips of Rosemary with a Zinnia bloom or a Shasta daisy are quick pick-me-ups.
Now-a-days I try and get out early to do the watering and cut my blooms or late in the evening, when it finally starts to cool a bit, I love sitting out on the front porch and listen to the locusts and the frogs across the road in the pond. Hope yall will make some little summer bouquets yourself.

xo Carolyn
Posted by Picasa

No comments: