Saturday, August 15, 2009

Carolyn Westbrook: Let Them Eat Cake


Today, is my Mother's Birthday! For her birthday she wanted me to go see Julie and Julia, since she has not seen it yet. I was kinda hesitant since I usually hate seeing a movie more than once. No worries...it was just as good the second time around. You gotta go! It makes you want to go home and cook something delicious and while your at it, to remember to follow your dreams. Even when doing that comes with obvious obstacles. Hey, that's just the way it is. Nobody ever said it was going to be easy. Victoria thinks that she now wants to go to culinary school, she was so inspired. Actually, we have talked about that, before this movie. Talk about putting in your dues. That is a tough job being a starter cook.

So, when we get home, I decide to make my grandmother's chocolate cake recipe, for her birthday. This is the best cake that you ever put in your mouth. I think that there are many versions of this, but to me, hers is the best, because it comes with a hunk of family tradition and lots of memories. The recipe card is covered with chocolate thumbprints and smudges from so much wear. For those of you, who have my Carolyn Westbrook Home book, the photo of this cake can be found on pages 132-133. And yes, it is even better that it looks. Talk about revealing a family secret, I am going to share that recipe with you, my closest friends, so grab your pen and paper and take this down, and try not to drool on the paper...

Grandmothers Fudge Cake
Ingredients:

2 Cups sifted All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 stick Oleo aka margarine (I use butter, cause ya know, butta makes it betta!)
1 Cup Water
1/2 cup of Crisco ( Again, used butter. O.K. I didn't say it was lowfat)
1/4 Cup of Cocoa
1/2 Cup of Buttermilk
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder (make sure it is fresh)
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325. Sift together flour and sugar. In a saucepan begin melting butter, add water, cocoa and shortening, and bring to a rapid boil, while stirring. Pour over flour and sugar mixture and stir. Combine remaining ingredients into the bowl and stir. Pour into rectangle cake pan, that has been oiled. I spray mine with cooking spray. Put in the oven to bake until a tooth pick comes out clean in the center.

FROSTING:
1 stick butter
3 1/2 TBSP. of Cocoa
1/3 cup of milk (I used cream)
1 lb. sifted powdered sugar.
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup of chopped pecans (optional)

Melt butter in saucepan. Add in cocoa then milk. keep stirring. I add powdered sugar, while stirring until it thickens to frosting consistency.
Ice the cake while hot and it will pratically ice itself. Recommend adding some Homeade Vanilla Blue Bell to go with.
Now sit back with a glass of ice cold milk and let this melt in your mouth. You will be thinking you died and gone to Heaven!
Bon Appetite, My friends!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

YUMMY! Thank you so much for sharing!!! I have your home book (my favorite) but not your cookbook. How did I ever miss it?!?! Is it still available???
Got run now and make this yummy cake!!
xxx kim

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Looking forward to seeing it,great post!! All the best,Chrissy

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Carolyn, this recipe brings back memories, I think we had a similar version. Thanks for sharing, I will print it and make it soon. My families recipes are the same, with smudges of love all over them. Thanks for the memories...

trash talk said...

This sounds a whole lot like my grandmother's Texas Chocolate sheet cake. I think it would taste a whole lot better if you would make it for me! How 'bout it?
Trash

Maison Douce said...

I can't wait to try the chocolate cake!! That is so generous of you to share your "family secret"!! And I saw Julie and Julia this weekend and loved it!! Came home wanting to make Boeuf Bourguignon!!!!
Isabel